Three Ways With Granola
|4 cups rolled oats||1/2 cup unsweetened, dessicated coconut|
|1 cup wheat germ||2/3 cup honey OR maple syrup|
|1 tsp. ground cinnamon||1/4 cup light oil|
|Dash ground cardamom||1 cup chopped dried apples|
|1/2 cup sunflower seeds||1/4 cup dried cranberries|
1. Preheat oven to 275 F / 140 C. Lightly oil a large cookie tray.
Photo © littleny/Shutterstock Images
2. Combine oats, wheat germ, cinnamon, cardamom, sunflower seeds, and coconut in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together honey and oil. Pour into dry mixture and stir well, until oats are evenly coated.
4. Spread on prepared baking sheets. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden.
5. Allow granola to cool on cookie tray. Stir in dried fruits. When completely cool, transfer to airtight containers.
See original recipe. Substitute 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds for 1/2 cup sunflower seeds. Substitute 1 cup chopped, pitted dates for 1 cup apples. Substitute 1/2 cup raisins for 1/2 cup cranberries. Substitute nutmeg for cardamom, and add a dash of cloves.
See original recipe. Substitute 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds for
1/2 cup sunflower seeds. Substitute 1 cup chopped, unsulphured apricots
for 1 cup apples. Substitute 1/2 cup raisins for 1/2 cup cranberries.
Substitute 1/2 tsp. ginger for 1 tsp. cinnamon. Omit cardamom.
Recipes are copyright © 2011 Andrea Belcham. For information about this book, go here.
Natural Life Books specializes in adult non-fiction about ways that families and individuals can live and learn on Planet Earth in a healthy, socially responsible, environmentally sound, self-reliant manner. We are the retail division of The Alternate Press, an imprint of Life Media, an independent, family-owned book and magazine publishing house established in 1976. We are proud to publish some of the most progressive books and other information products about homeschooling and life learning (also known as unschooling) in the world.